Tuesday 16 August 2011

Barbies revelation

Living in a city that I didn't grow up in can be quite a challenge. Not just because I'm still not 100% on where each part of the town is in conjunction to the rest of it, but because as an adult, getting out and making friends is a very hard thing to do. **important note** I'm not making any false claims - my local geography knowledge does lie somewhere between medium-bad and utterly useless!

Firstly, please dont get me wrong here on the friends issue. I have some wonderful friends, many I have known for decades, (which when I think about exactly how long is a little scary and makes me feel old!) but the vast majority live a great distance away from where I am now. I moved to Edinburgh in 2005, and contrary to my actual "normal" nature, I can be a bit of a wallflower in person, social situations often get me exteremly nervous and I become introverted which I'm told can come across as aloof and snobby. This doesn't help.

I've now lived here 6 years and its taken me a while to even start to build up a circle of friends. I do feel like I'm getting there but its taken patience, a bit of alcohol(quite a lot on a few occasions!), and a few pep talks from the ever trusty B-Man!

So, my advice for anyone who has those desolate, stranded feelings? Get up and do something about it! Strangers are not going to come knocking on your door seeking out friendship, and striking up the odd conversation about the weather on your daily commute probably isn't going to bud into a lifelong friendship. Join clubs, meet friends of friends you already have, go to work social events. It may sound cheesy and cliche but it actually does work. I have proof. Right here :)


No comments: